Are you planning a holiday to New York? Take a look at our current America travel deals or contact us for more information.
One of the world’s most renowned cities, New York is a melting pot of incredible monuments, bustling streets, iconic destinations and never-ending nightlife. Holidays in New York are an amazing city experience and there’s no end what you can do during your New York stay. If you’re wondering what should be on your itinerary for your first ever trip to New York, here’s our pick of the best:
1. Central Park – It’s 843 acres of parkland bliss and Central Park is where many New Yorkers and tourists spend their time. More than just a grassy patch of land, the park is home to many events and attractions, such as the Belvedere Castle, the Shakespeare in the Park series and Central Park Zoo.
2. Top of Rockefeller Plaza – Or the ‘Top of the Rock’, as they now call it! Observation decks on the 68th-70th floors of this famous building provide fabulous views of New York. When you’re done, visit the ice skating rink or book yourself into the NBC Behind-the-Scenes tour for a true taste of American TV culture.
3. Empire State Building – If the Top of the Rock didn’t wow you enough, the Empire State Building surely will. Open until 2am daily, the 86th floor observatory invites spectacular night views of NYC. If you’re interested in history, make sure you grab yourself an iPod touch self-tour. The NY Skyride – an amazing simulation that “flies” you around New York – can also be found on the 2nd floor.
4. Statue of Liberty – She’s the symbol of all that is free in America and no trip to New York is complete without her! The Statue of Liberty has been on Liberty Island since the late 1880s, when she was donated to America by the French. To get up close with her, catch a ferry across to Liberty Island or stop at the nearby Ellis Island for some wonderful statue-esque views.
5. Times Square – It’s where New Yorkers love to spend New Year’s Eve and yet Times Square has much more to offer. Set in the heart of Manhattan, Times Square is home to Broadway shows, TV studios, huge neon lights and flashing billboards. It’s also one of the most visited attractions in the world, drawing almost 40 million visitors each year. A stroll through the square at night is your best option for seeing this magnificent city icon.
6. Bronx Zoo – If you’re an animal lover, the 265 acres of Bronx Zoo will amaze you. One of the world’s largest zoos, it has over 600 species of animals to ogle over. Popular animals include gorillas, Asian elephants, giraffes, grizzly bears, lions, tigers and polar bears. Rides and exhibits are also in abundance – and don’t forget to check out the aquarium, too!
7. American Museum of Natural History – There are an incredible amount of museums to see on your trip to New York, and the American Museum of National History is just one of them. From trips into outer space, splashes into the ocean depths and journeys back into our dinosaur past, this museum of life on Earth is a marvellous attraction for adults and kids alike.
8. Brooklyn Bridge – It’s so iconic that it would be a shame to miss on your holiday in New York. The Brooklyn Bridge was built in 1883 and spans across the East River, connecting Brooklyn to Manhattan. Taking a casual stroll across the pedestrian walkway is a must and walking tours are also available. You can also catch a ferry across the river for some wonderful views or simply relax back with for a meal in Brooklyn Bridge Park.
This city of dreams is a fantastic destination for Aussie travellers. At Travellers Choice, we know all about holidays to New York – just ask!